Friday, August 10, 2018

The God of Unconditional Love

Being a middle-aged Steppenwolf by nature and speaking generally, I have no great love for humanity. I’m probably closer to being an adherent of Sartre’s adage, “Hell is other people.”

I don’t go out into the public sector as much as I once did but the times that I do does little to change my outlook. People are becoming more erratic from their driving habits to their impatience in standing in line at the post office. They move as if they have a whip on their backs and have little tolerance for those who are in their way. And as the noose tightens it will continue to get worse.

But just about the time I feel like giving up on them completely, something happens showing me that would be a mistake.

Have you ever noticed that when you first walk into certain grocery stores that they have small doors that carts going in both directions can hardly make it through and afterwards you’re usually guided inside to narrow walkways with displays that further clog up the lines?

As I was already pissed off for being herded in this particular manner, I felt someone behind me. I don’t like this as it is against my nature as well as my conditioning of not trusting others. Making a society into a high-tech prison camp doesn’t exactly bring out the best in people.

I pulled myself and my cart to the side waiting to give my enemy a dirty look when I was met by the gaze of a man with both a kindness and a depth to that kindness in his eyes that I have rarely, if ever, seen before. In that moment, I felt ashamed of myself for my behavior.

The story of Christ being crucified along with the two thieves comes to mind. The only guilt that the thief on the left-hand side of Christ felt was for getting caught. He mocked the spirit that could have saved him even then because it had already been lost unto himself.

But the thief on the right side of Christ felt the depth and breadth of love in the Savior’s eyes and it broke the hardness of his heart. From this came the natural repentance and the healing of the mind from within that followed even though the life of the body was coming to an end.

In this way does the God of unconditional love convict the hearts and minds of his own.

But for the mind-slaves and criminals at heart, they will always need someone to rule them through coercion. They no longer have any guilt for the harm they do to others, including those who think they can get away with it because it’s “legal.”

Personally, I don’t care about your politics, religion, skin color, where you are from, level of intelligence or anything else that the system tells me to love or hate about you.

I care only about which side of the cross you’re on.

No comments: